Monday, May 26, 2014

DIY L'Oreal Paris Wild Ombré Review

I ombréd my hair three summers ago with box of blonde hair dye and by using my fingers to attempt to gradually lighten my hair. It didn't work and I basically had a straight line of orange-y yellow running along the bottom 3/4 of my hair. After keeping that look for two months, I dyed my hair dark brown and chopped off the majority of the ombréd section, leaving the ends light, which I really loved. As my hair grew out, the dark brown color faded and turned into a redder brown and created a natural ombré effect with red and blonde at the ends. three years later, I hadn't touched my hair since, but the ends still had blonde in them from the leftover dark brown color that had faded. I wanted to bring back some lightness to the ends.

Here is a photo of my hair right before I dyed it. My hair isn't this light in real life, I think the lighting just altered it a bit. However, in this photo you can see bits of lighter, blonder hair just at the tips.




I bought a box of the L'Oreal Paris Féria Wild Ombré in 060 for medium to dark brown hair. This box came with instructions, gloves, a bottle of shimmering conditioning permanent colour gel, a shimmering conditioning developer creme, an aromatic shimmer serum and a shimmer boost hydrating conditioner. My box was missing the brush *insert eye roll emoji here* and rather than retunring it for a new box, I just decided to use my Tangle Teezer (can be purchased from Target and Amazon as well). I followed the instructions for combining the products to create the dye and I sectioned my hair in three parts. I covered my Tangle Teezer with the dye and began with the bottom section. My mother brushed the product through my hair, coating it evenly and alternating which end of the brush was facing upwards and where she began.

























In the left photo, I have just finished applying the dye all over my hair. You can already see the change in color as the product uses bleach. The box recommended leaving it in 25-45 minutes, I believe I went ahead and left it about 37 minutes because I wanted it to be more blonde and less orange. After rinsing it out and using the shampoo/conditioner it came with, I let it air dry.

This photo on the right was taken five days after I applied the Wild Ombré. It is definitely pretty orange or "brassy" if you're being technical. To reduce the brassiness, I bought the L'Oreal Paris Preference Permanent Hair Color in Ash Blonde 8A. I found out through research that ash blonde colors are best at reducing brassiness. I applied this dye in much the same way as my ombré where I put it onto my Tangle Teezer and brushed it in. It didn't matter where I began as the color was not going to affect my natural color too much. It only slightly and subtley lightened it and actually helped to blend the hair and create more of a gradual ombré. At first, I didn't think it reduced the orange in my hair, but a day later, I see that it has lightened my hair a bit. I also purchased the John Freida Sheer Blonde Color Renew Correcting Shampoo and Conditioner, which are used to tone and reduce brassiness. I've heard a lot about these so I decided to try them out. I will report back with a review once I've given them a spin!

2 comments:

  1. Your hair turned out fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still hoping to get it a little less brassy :)

      Delete