Monday, January 19, 2015

Top Winter Lippies | 2014


This post is a little on the red/berry end of the spectrum and that's OKAY because if you can't overindulge in these lippy shades this time of year, when can you?
I love the products I've gathered here as they're all recent purchases that I just can't get over. We have a few hyped up, loved up, raved up products, so if you're ready for your millionth review on a little Kate Moss number and want to know which lippy will see you through a nice warm cuppa (or three), continue reading!



SWATCHED! Left to right, top row: Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella, Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in 107, and Cailyn Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss Stick in Basic Instinct.
Left to right, bottom row: Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Grandest Grape, Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red, Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Parisian Passion, and Nars Audacious Lipstick in Ingrid.

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella
SHE'S A BEAUT. From the moment I read my first viviannadoesmakeup blog post on the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, I was all heart-eyes emoji over this particular shade and the promise of longevity attached to it. It is more berry than true red, which I find quite flattering and the velvet texture was def. something I had to get used to as I've never felt it on the lips before. With a bit of lip prep (brown sugar + olive oil scrub with a slick of lip balm), it's an absolute dream. It lasts eons and doesn't have any of that awkward fading. I just want to wear it all day, every day and knowing it will see me through hours of drinks and dinner whilst catching up with my friends, this product will literally live on my face forever. This also happens to be one of the birthday gifts from Sephora this year so everybody rejoice!

Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Matte Lipstick in 107
How have I not owned this sooner??? I think we've all seen this everywhere, but I first fell in love with it on Zoella. This is that perfect holiday shade or something you would wear with an oversized cream sweater or an LBD, but goes best paired with lashes galore. A slightly more pink-toned berry shade, it is quite uplifting but paired with a darker lip liner, it can be quite vampy as well. The Kate Moss lipsticks for Rimmel are sublime. Totally wearable and versatile, I can't believe they're under $5! Like Nars Cruella, I'm always yearning to wear this one and I always feel like Moss the Boss when I do.

Cailyn Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss Stick in Basic Instinct
Ipsy really surprised me with this one. I deffo wasn't expecting to love this as much as I do because it's a gloss and a nude lip shade - two things I don't like - ever. I don't know why, but something has me itching to be brave and dip my toes in the nude end of lip products lately (ooer). I'm so amazed at how this gloss applies; it's opaque and not annoyingly sticky, it lasts a fair amount of time and oh yeah, it looks fab with bronze or copper eyes (any excuse for the Naked palettes amirite?). It's the perfect intro to nudes for a bold lip gal like myself because it has a nice peachy-pink tint that's just so complimentary to my skin tone and as a pale girl, finding a nude that doesn't wash me out is half the battle.

Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Grandest Grape
Sadly, this is the only deep plum-based shade in my arsenal at the moment but don't despair BECAUSE I LOVE IT. I've heard all the hype around the chubby sticks - the original lip crayons - for years, but when I could purchase one from Revlon for half the price and it was such great quality, I didn't need to look further. It was when I caved and purchased Nars Cruella that I decided to try this and omg I'm so glad I did. This particular shade and version of the chubby stick (intense) is highly pigmented. It is a beautiful purple shade that leans on the berry side and it's sooo moisturizing! I can't get over how nice it feels on the lips and it stays put quite well! I loved this so much that I finally used one of my 100 point perks at Sephora and got another in the shade Super Strawberry. These are great because they're so low-maintenance and when I'm sporting mostly matte products, my lips could use a moisturizing friend every now and then.

Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red
Amelia Liana introduced me to this product when she RAVED about it forever, then I saw Lily Pebbles wearing it AND THEN one of my friends - who only wears the best matte reds - said she loved it and I was convinced. I finally bought this two months ago and can't stop wearing it. The first time I wore it was at work and I was complimented by everyone! It felt so nice on the lips and it lasted through eating and a six-hour shift. It mattifies pretty instantly and appears really bold, smooth and "perfect" as my coworkers said. This is what I reach for when I need an instant complexion or mood boost. When I first tried wiping it off, it lingered as a flattering stain and stayed there overnight, which is quite satisfying to me. This is such good value at $13 and the true red shade looks stunning! After testing it over the holidays, this is the perfect eating, drinking and picture-taking lip product.

Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Parisian Passion
Is it a stain? Is it a gloss? It's both! This is such an interesting product as it really transforms on the lips. At first, it feels kind of slippery, but that's good because it's moisturizing and it means you can play around and get it to glide on your lips easily. Then, it settles down and becomes this beautiful shiny gloss. After a couple hours, it turns into this really natural stain that looks as though you've rubbed berries all over your lips and left a nice injection of color. I chose this shade over the others because I bought it in July when I was over summer and ready for autumnal wine-toned lippies. I think the gloss makes this a color totally wearable all year, but it's definitely the stain that makes it perfect for the colder weather. I love it because it's quite on the berry end of the spectrum and oh yeah, it reminds me of Paris (le sigh).

Nars Audacious Lipstick in Ingrid
Nars is so cruel to me. When Tanya Burr did an autumnal tutorial starring this lipstick back in October, I died and went to lipstick Heaven (video here). I immediately did a Google search for it and could not find it on any website. I even went to sites from different countries and was willing to pay extra for international shipping, but they were all out of stock. I checked the Nars site every day for 2.5 months before they put it back and I placed an order immediately! Let's begin with the packaging as it is phenomenal. It's so sleek and magnetic so no worries about it opening in your bag. The cherry on top is how the bullet has the NARS logo stamped onto it, making it that much more luxurious. This is such a vampy lipstick that is quite Merlot and so perfect for the autumn and winter. I like to apply it straight on and without any lip liner, which is bold as this shade is so dark and the formula is a bit slippery. I don't like the way lip liner affects a lipstick's color and I don't like the perfection of it. I love to apply and then use my fingers to blend in so I can remove color if I need to, or add more if I want it to be darker and more dramatic. This is definitely not for the faint of heart, and it isn't something I would recommend wearing during a meal or drinks if used alone. I am loving pairing this with concealer and mascara or playing it up with a full face of makeup. It's basically always the star of the show and thank you Nars for bringing it back! I'm in love!

What will you be wearing this winter? Please let me know because I'm a lip product addict and always on the prowl for more lippies to add to my collection (I don't have a problem though).

Cheers!

- S


No comments:

Post a Comment