Monday, February 9, 2015

Obsessions | Top 5 Red Lipsticks for Valentine's Day

Here's the obligatory Valentine's Day is around the corner post and while I've never been a fan of the holiday, I like the idea of using it as an excuse to pay more attention than I normally would to my hair or makeup and pop out some pink or red lipstick (not like anything's ever stopped me before though). I've gathered a few lip options to cover all the bases if you're in the market for a red lip and as I will be doing a Galentine's Day with my girlfriends - look out for that post in one week - I thought it would be fun to choose a couple options I don't reach for often because they aren't matte or vampy.

SWATCHED! From left to right: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow, Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple, Sephora Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red, MAC Lipstick in Lady Danger, Tanya Burr Lip Gloss in Vampire Kiss



Revlon Cherries in the Snow
This is one of those hyped up Internet faves that hasn't seen much love recently and I honestly don't know why people ever stop talking about it. If you aren't familiar with the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick range, pop over to a counter and pick up any shade - this one is especially good. This formula has outstanding pigmentation and just glides over the lips, no matter how dry they are (still reeling from the matte lips of the holidays over here). I love how this is a pink-toned red as it adds interest to your standard red lip. The shade makes my teeth look brighter and really lifts my complexion. If you're going for a pinky/purple eye look and still want to wear a red lip, I would suggest using this lipstick. I'll probably be sporting this on Galentine's Day as I'm downing mimosas because the longevity is also quite good and while it won't last through a meal or a snog sesh, it also won't slip everywhere or fade awkwardly.

Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple
This is such a great option for those of us who are suffering with chapped lips at the mo as it can be worked into the lips and moisturizes like a balm. The pigmentation is quite good and definitely buildable as it is more of a sheer finish. I really like how flexible this balm is, giving your lips a juicy appearance when applied straight from the bullet, but it can also be worked into the lips as more of a stain that is still hydrating. This is something that won't last long but when you're stuffing your face with cupcakes, do you really need to worry about your lipstick??

Sephora Matte Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red
Okay, so this is a matte number, but I couldn't leave it out. This has to be my favorite red lip product because the finish is smooth and it lasts forever! Plus, the shade is a true red which makes it perfect for Valentine's Day. This is my most reliable lipstick and will definitely withstand dinner, drinks, eight boxes of chocolate, two bottles of wine and whatever else you can think of.

MAC Lady Danger
Like Revlon's Cherries in the Snow, I wanted to throw in a variant of red in for those of us who like to mix things up and Lady Danger is really great because it's an orangey-red matte. This would work quite well with bronze or gold eyes and would make a nice statement against a monochrome outfit. The matte finish will also ensure it will last through most things and because of it's name, it would definitely inspire me to be a bit more cool and daring than I actually am.

Tanya Burr Lip Gloss in Vampire Kiss
Another true red and probs what I'll wear on Valentine's Day because I think this is the most perfect lip product I own for the holiday. Although a gloss, which I typically stray far away from, Tanya Burr has injected this with magic that gives phenomenal color payoff and quite good lasting power. I find this gets a bit stain-like after a few hours of wear or after a meal, so that's good to note. The finish also leaves the lips looking so juicy and inviting, perfect for a date and also really beautiful even if you're just a single Pringle.

SWATCHED! Top row, left to right: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow, Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple, Sephora Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red.
Bottom row, let to right: MAC Lipstick in Lady Danger and Tanya Burr Lip Gloss in Vampire Kiss.
What are you planning to wear on Valentine's Day? I'll be in yoga pants, eating heart-shaped pizza, drinking wine and proabably singing along to Frozen with my cousin Eli.

Cheers! Xx
- S


No comments:

Post a Comment