Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Transitions | Winter to Spring Handbag Lip Products

Not one to abide by pale lip shades during warm months, darker shades in the winter, I do get the itch to change up my go-to lip products around March and August, adding more pinks in the spring and more reds in the fall. However, these seasonal transitions also leave me desperate to hold on to some of the products I've been loving over the past few months, and that's where my handbag comes in, holding a beautiful mashup of the cold winter months I love and the promise of a spring with a break from school on the horizon. Along with working as transition lip products, I also require longevity, minimal effort in terms of application and a formulation that means I'm not constantly checking my lips in a mirror or the selfie-cam of my phone.


Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Blackberry Sorbet, Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rosé, Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey, MAC Lipstick in Plumful, Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Parisian Passion, Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Lip Colour in Mademoiselle, Topshop Lipstick in Beguiled, and Hourglass Liquid Lipstick in Canvas.
Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Blackberry Sorbet
The vampiest shade in my handbag at the moment, this one is a result of my unfaltering love for the Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Always Red. This range of lip products has matte formulations like the two I've mentioned that apply like dreams and literally last forever (coconut oil is the best at removing these without dehydrating or irritating your lips). They leave a smooth finish that is a hybrid of satin and matte and aren't terribly drying - it actually applies evenly on my scaley lips! The doe-foot applicator helps them go on, but as all of the shades I've encountered are quite bold, a lip brush might help with precision, but work quickly as they dry quite fast. This is quickly becoming my favorite everyday shade with a minimal base and lashings of mascara. The deep purple makes me feel a bit like Lorde, but she's actually one of my main makeup inspos if I'm quite honest.

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rosé
What's not to love about this? It's a balm with some SPF, really moisturizes and tints lips with a nice pink similar to my natural lip color. Another lip product I can slap on without thinking about precision and it goes with literally everything. It feels so nice on the lips and the shade is universally flattering because of its sheerness.

Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey
The name is slightly deceiving with this one as it is definitely more balm than lipstick. I was slightly disappointed in this balm when I first bought it because it looked like this really dark, almost black shade that was going to be the vampy lip balm of dreams. It actually applies quite sheer, but if I do a few layers, I can get it to be another my lips but better with a tinge of that winey-red shade I love. An option I reach for when working because of how easy it is to apply and how low-maintanence it is to look after. It's also quite hydrating, perfect for this time of year.

MAC Lipstick in Plumful
The classic "my lips but better" shade that I ramble on about in every post I possibly can. It's a plum-toned lustre, so it's easy to apply, lasts quite a while and doesn't fade terribly. More detailed post here.

Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain in Parisian Passion
This is the deepest red I have in my bag at the moment. It's a gloss that turns into a stain and leaves behind a really flattering deep burgundy color, v. similar to Topshop Beguiled. This is what I wear most days at school when I want to perk up my look and not think about my lips ending up on my eyebrows or down my chin. I've been pariing this with the Urban Decay Naked Palette's Naked all over the lid and Buck in the crease with about 40 layers of mascara. They just work so well together and remind me of winter aka my fave season. Also, it lasts agesssss.

Chanel Rouge Coco Hydrating Creme Lip Colour in Mademoiselle
This is about as nude as it gets for me when it comes to lip products. This was my first luxury lipstick purchase, and it was only fitting that it would be Chanel. I chose this shade out of the collection for the name because the Chanel Mademoiselle fragrance is my favorite perfume. I love this shade because it's a 90s throwback in the sense that it's a pinky-beige, that is seriously flattering and a part of the "my lips but better" family. The wearability makes this shade a classic and the formula is really moisturizing. Although I wish it were a little less slippery, it stays put pretty well and instantly makes me feel like a proper adult every time I see the emblazoned Chanel logo on the bullet.

Topshop Lipstick in Beguiled
A favorite of mine because of the ease of application and brightening effect. It's a merlot that can be built up to the deepest wine-red or lightly patted into the lips to make them look bitten. I think this shade goes with most of my makeup looks and because of the lipstick's formula, I never have to apply with a mirror. I find Topshop lipsticks are equal to, if not better than, MAC lipsticks and they're only $12.

Hourglass Liquid Lipstick in Canvas
Haven't spoken about this gem on the blog yet, but it's one of my favorites in the nudey-pink family. This is a mini as the full-size was three times the price and let's be honest, I was never going to finish that. The formula is quite drying, but it's worth it for the hours of durability and the flattering and brightening effects it gives to the face. Such a fresh shade for the warmer months that you don't really have to think about. So far, this and Icon, a classic red, are the only ones available in minis online, so get your hands on them quickly because the $10 price tag is definitely worth it when you factor in the drying formula and longevity.

That's my round up of lip products in varying shades of red and pink that I am obsessed with at the moment. I'm quite shocked there isn't an orange in the bunch, but I'm sure one will find its way inside my bag soon enough. Which shades are your transitional go-tos? Comment below! Xx Sab.


No comments:

Post a Comment