Monday, June 8, 2015

Top Picks | Summer 2015 Lip Options

I hear it's summer back in the States but here in London, we're in our second day of June and barely hitting 60 degrees. I'm not complaining though as the sun terrifies me and I prefer sweaters to sweating any day. While I literally wear any lip color any time of year, I do tend to pull out more pinky/nudes, oranges and a peach number during the sunnier months. I also don't stop with the borderline Goth/vampy matte lip products of dreams though so anything's fair game. Below is a lineup of lip products that have already made permanent settlements in my handbag and I hope the seersucker "Au Revoir" clutch channels some south of France summer vacay vibes for you (please excuse the state of my Bourjois Lip Crayon as it had a near-fatal accident this past weekend. It's too soon to discuss; I'm still sobbing about it).



Chanel Rouge Cocoa in Mademoiselle
Love this stuff. It's a pinky/nudey/beige so it's got color, but nothing scary or too pale. It looks great with a pink/purple eyeshadow as well as with something peachy/coppery or bronze. Mademoiselle is my everyday lip color as it literally goes with anything. As I will be working an internship this summer in a very professional setting, I feel like I'll reach for this a lot, but it's still got enough color to satisfy my obsession with bold lips without actually being a bold lip. It's basically just a reliable and grown-up color that should be in any sensible lip product collection.

Clinique Chubby Stick in Super Strawberry
I would consider this pinky balm a nude as the color is very sheer but still brightening. The formula of the Chubby Sticks is quite lovely and feels hydrating on the lips. I don't have to worry about this one fading either as it leaves behind a stain and is so natural that any color changes are not too noticeable.

Bourjois Color Boost Lip Crayon in Plum Russian
Call me crazy but dark lips are the greatest thing and I will wear them when it's cold or hot, rain or shine. I think a deep matte merlot is totally acceptable during the summer, but this one might be more wearable as it has a glossy/balmy finish to it. The shade is quite a purpley wine and I love this crayon as it leaves behind a stain so there isn't any awkward fading, meaning you get a long-lasting color without touch-ups.

Topshop Lipstick in Beguiled
While this swatch (below) looks identical to the Bourjois Plum Russian, it actually falls more on the red/berry end of the dark lip spectrum, Beguiled is a favorite of mine year round as it can be applied lightly for a bitten stain effect, or applied full on for a statement berry lip. It goes with anything and brightens my complexion. This is another good one for the office or when you know there will be lots of photo ops.

MAC Violetta
This is quite a bold one on the purple/magenta side. Violetta can be sheered out a bit and made more pinky/magenta or can be applied heavily to appear as bold and purple as it is in the tube. This is such a fun color and since I'll be wandering around London, I think it will be the perfect standout shade to sport on my lips and bring some summery vibes to my black on black outfits. I also saw a really cool Topshop employee wearing this and I was mesmerized, so good thing I own it because I clearly love it!

Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss in 109
This number made an appearance in my Top 5 Summer Lip Products post last year and it's one I've brought out quite a bit the past two warm seasons. The shade is a peachy coral and it is just so unique and stunning. I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else and it does something magical to my complexion/entire look. I'd seriously recommend picking this up as it can work as a nude with a bit of color or be built up for an intersting pout.

Topshop Lipstick in Infrared
Another orange and probably my favorite of the bunch. The Topshop formulas are sublime as they are matte without being drying, highly pigmented and last agesss. This is a v. bold orange like Mandarin Muse (below), but definetely more wearable. I'll be sure to reach for it often.

Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Mandarin Muse
I can't survive without an orange lipstick and whilst the darker reds tend to be my most reached for shades, orange lip products give me life. When I saw this was part of Sephora's Cream Lip Stain shade range expansion, I bought it without batting an eyelash, then I wore it and boy was it bold! I hated it because I felt like I couldn't pull it off. Now, I've been changing up my makeup look and find that paired with a natural base and total precision when it comes to application, it's actually the boldest and baddest lip product I own. I am a fan of bold lips and though it scared me at first, it took some playing around and an attitude adjustment to unashamedley wear this shade. Nothing says a  warm weather look more than some sunnies and an orange lip and this is the one as it lasts through literally anything.

SWATCHED! Top to bottom: Chanel Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle, Clinique Chubby Stick in Super Strawberry, Bourjois Color Boost Lip Crayon in Plum Russian, Topshop Lipstick in Beguiled, MAC Lipstick in Violetta, Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss in 109, Topshop Lipstick in Infrared, Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Mandarin Muse.
What are you reaching for this summer? Let me know in the comments! Xx S.

Right to left: Chanel Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle, Clinique Chubby Stick in Super Strawberry, Bourjois Color Boost Lip Crayon in Plum Russian, Topshop Lipstick in Beguiled, MAC Lipstick in Violetta, Rimmel Lasting Finish Matte by Kate Moss in 109, Topshop Lipstick in Infrared, Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Mandarin Muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment